How to make or receive calls using your Iridium satellite phone?
Take the following steps to ensure the proper functioning of your Iridium phone:
- Fully charge the phone’s battery.
- Insert the SIM-card (chip) in the SIM slot under the phone’s battery.
- Go outside with a clear view of the sky. Turn the phone on and ensure that the antenna is extended and pointing
straight up toward the sky. Wait for the phone to register on the network – the LED indicator on top of the phone will
be flashing green and you will see “IRIDIUM Registered” on the display.
- To place a call, dial 00, the country code, the area / network code and then the phone number. Press the green button
to start the call. A phone number in the U.S. should be dialed in this sequence: 00-1-480-752-5105.
- To hang up, press the red button.
- To answer an incoming call, extend the antenna, and press the green button. When I turn on my Iridium phone, I am prompted to enter a PIN-code. What is it?
It means your SIM-card is protected by a PIN code. The default PIN code is 1111. To protect your phone and account from
unauthorized use we suggest you set up (and memorize) a new PIN-code for your SIM-card (consult the phone’s user manual).
I mistyped the PIN code and my Iridium phone is now blocked. How do I unblock it?
If the PIN code has been entered incorrectly three times in a row, the phone will automatically block the SIM-card. To unblock it, turn on the phone, enter **05* and press the green button. When prompted, enter the eight-digit PUK1 code and press the green button. You will be offered to set up your new PIN-code.
The PUK1 code is supplied with your SIM-card upon activation. If you don’t know or can’t locate the PUK1 code, please contact us (SeaTech Systems).
How to test my Iridium phone and service for FREE?
By dialing 00-1-480-752-5105 from the satellite phone, Iridium subscribers can verify that their phone is working properly and familiarize themselves with the phone’s operation – all free of charge. Callers will hear a recorded message confirming that their call was completed and offering quick tips on proper handset usage. This automated service allows subscribers to test their phones whenever and wherever they like.
How should I dial telephone numbers from my Iridium phone?
All telephone numbers should be dialed in the full international format:
- 00[country code][area code][phone number], OR
- +[country code][area code][phone number]
Examples: 00-1-480-752-5105 or +1-480-752-5105 (a US number), 00-49-631-3522000 or +49-631-3522000 (a number in
How should I dial in order to call Iridium phones? (See Two Stage Dialing below as an alternative).
Iridium’s full international number is 8816XXXXXXXX.
From another Iridium or satellite phone, dial +8816XXXXXXXX or 00-8816XXXXXXXX From US cell phones, dial 011-8816XXXXXXXX or +8816XXXXXXXX.
From a US land line, dial 011-8816XXXXXXXX.
Please be aware that calls to Iridium phones from landlines or cellular phones are very expensive, so please check the rates
with your phone company before calling. I am not able to send / receive text messages (SMS).
- Make sure the SMS Service Center number is set up correctly (see the next question).
- Check the recipient’s phone number — it should be entered in the full international format, e.g. 0014807525105 or
+14807525105 (for US numbers).
- When sending a message from the Iridium phone, the phone must be registered in the Iridium network, otherwise
sending will fail.
- If you have an Iridium 9555 handset and can’t receive text messages, make sure message folders (Inbox, Outbox and
Sent) contain fewer than 30 messages combined. Delete some of the messages if necessary.
- Some mobile operators restrict sending messages to satellite operators. If you can’t receive incoming text messages sent from a cellular phone, check if the sender’s carrier has any restrictions on sending SMS to the Iridium satellite
How to setup the SMS Service Center Number?
The SMS service center number must be set up prior to sending the first SMS message.
For 9505A Phones:
- Press the ‘Envelope’ key.
- Scroll to ‘Message Settings’. Press OK.
- Scroll to ‘Service Center’. Press OK.
- Enter 00881662900005 or +881662900005. Press OK.
For 9555 Phones:
- In ‘Menu’ select ‘Messages’ – ‘Settings’ – ‘Service Center’.
- Enter 00881662900005 or +881662900005
- Press OK.
This must only be done once, after which the Service Center number is stored in the phone.
How to send a FREE text message to an Iridium phone? Via the Web:
One can send a FREE text message to an Iridium phone by visiting http://messaging.iridium.com/
Create a new email message addressed to 8816XXXXXXXX@msg.iridium.com, enter your message in the body of the email and send your email. Any text placed within the subject line will not transmit.
How to send an email directly from my Iridium phone?
- Create a new text message.
- In the body of the message, enter the destination email address.
- After the email address, enter a blank space (|_|).
- Enter the message you would like to send.
- Continue with sending the message. When asked for the recipient, enter +*2, or 00*2, or *2.
- Complete sending the message.
What is Two-Stage Calling To Iridium Phone?
Two-Stage Calling allows to call an Iridium phone without incurring high charges of calling to satellite phones. The cost of the call is charged to the Iridium subscriber.
– Dial 1-480-768-2500 from your landline or cell phone*, you should hear the following message: “Welcome to the Iridium Satellite Global Network”.
– Enter the Iridium 12 digit satellite phone number (8816XXXXXXXX) you would like to reach.
* Long-distance call charges to a US number will apply to your phone bill.
How to setup Iridium Voicemail?
STEP 1: Check if the Voicemail service number is correctly set up. For 9505A Phones:
- Press the Envelope key, ‘Call Voicemail, select?’ will appear.
- Scroll with arrow keys until ‘Message settings, view options?’ appears.
- Press [OK], ‘Voicemail number, select?’ will appear.
- Press [OK], enter the Iridium general voicemail number, +881662990000.
- Press [OK]. Hold on to the [C] key to return to the main screen.
For 9555 Phones:
- In ‘Menu’ select ‘Voicemail’ – ‘Voicemail Settings’ – ‘Number’.
- Enter +881662990000 and press ‘Save’
STEP 2: Set up call forwarding to Voicemail. Make sure the phone is turned ON, is registered in the Iridium network and has good signal strength.
For 9505A Phones:
- Press the ‘Menu’ key, scroll with the left/right arrow keys until ‘Call Related Features” appears.
- Press ‘OK’, scroll down until ‘Call Forwarding’ appears.
- Press ‘OK’, scroll down until ‘Forward When Unavailable’ appears.
- Press ‘OK’, ‘Please Wait’ will appear, wait for a while until ‘On’ appears.
- Press ‘OK’, scroll down until ‘Voicemail’ appears.
- Press ‘OK’, ‘Please Wait’ will appear, wait until ‘Call Forward On’ appears.
- ‘Forward When Unavailable’ then appears, hold on to the ‘C’ button to return to the main screen.
For 9555 Phones:
- In ‘Menu’ scroll down to and select ‘Setup’.
- Select ‘Call Options’ – ‘Call Forwarding’, wait until the list of options appears.
- Select the desired option: ‘All Calls’, ‘If Busy’, ‘If No Answer’ or ‘If Unavailable’.
- Select ‘Voicemail’ from the list, wait until confirmed.
STEP 3: Accessing your personal mailbox (retrieving your voicemail)
- Call Iridium voicemail number +881662990000:
For 9555 phones: Select ‘Menu’ – ‘Voicemail’ – ‘Call Voicemail’ (this will automatically call the Iridium voicemail number, +881662990000).
For 9505A phones: Press the Envelope key, ‘Call Voicemail, select’ will appear. Press OK to call the Iridium voicemail number, +881662990000.
- Wait for the voice prompt asking you to “re-enter the Iridium phone number you are trying reach”. Enter your Iridium phone number (8816XXXXXXXX); you will then be forwarded to your personal voicemail greeting.
- Press the ‘*’ key to interrupt the greeting, and enter your password (last 7 digits of your Iridium number, see below) to access your personal mailbox.
- Follow the voice prompts for menu options.
Note: By default, your voicemail password is the last 7 digits of your Iridium phone number. For security reasons, please
change it using menu options.
How to check my Iridium prepaid account balance? Option 1:
- Dial 2888 from your Iridium phone.
- The number of remaining minutes of calls to landlines/mobiles and the number of days until the account expires will
be announced (in English).
- Compose a blank SMS/text and send it to 2888 from your Iridium phone.
- The number of remaining minutes of calls to landlines/mobiles, the number of days until the account expires and the
expiration date will be sent to your phone as a text message (in English).